Dear Moderator ,

This is my AS Media Studies Blog. I have created an R&B Music Magazine, which you will find below.

My Research and Planning starts on 7th September 2011, which you can view here.
The start of my Evaluation starts on Thursday 9th February 2012, which you can view here.
My Completed Magazine can be viewed here.

I hope you enjoy my blog and my music magazine.

Thanks,
Alice Jones

Thursday 23 February 2012

Evaluation Question Two: How Does Your Media Product Represent Particular Social Groups

How does your media product represent particular social groups?



Posture/Gesture - The model in my photograph (left) is doing a similar pose to Beyonce (right). Both have their left arms raised about their heads slightly, however the model on my photograph has her right arm relaxed by her side. Both are conveying the fact that they are confident women, however my model is facing the camera with a smile, where as Beyonce is tilting her head sightly, looking provocative. Both are popping their hip to the right, which emphasizes their femininity and curves.

Angle/Shot Type - The angle of both photographs is eye-level, I chose to use the same shot type as the photograph of Beyonce as I thought it allows the audience to identify with the model more, and they become someone that readers can associate with. The shot type for both is a medium-long shot, yet Beyonces' legs are shown more in her photograph, which is probably to show her femininity. The use of a medium long shot allows their whole shape to be shown on camera, which is important for female R&B celebrities, as they are stereotypically proud to be a woman and proud of their curves. This shot type also allowed their clothing to be shown, as fashion is an important aspect to the R&B genre.

Lighting - Both photographs have bright lighting, focused on the artists, this makes them look as though they are constantly in the spotlight, making them look more important. This also makes them stand out, as the lighting is on them, and so the photograph appears bright and eye-catching.

Costume - Both my model and Beyonce are wearing clothing that is quite revealing, which is a well-known stereotype for R&B Artists. The use of revealing clothing allows the models shape to be shown and also shows their body confidence. However, Beyonce is wearing white, where as my model is wearing black and gold. I chose to put my model in black and gold as this was my colour scheme, but also as these are colours that are heavily associated with the R&B genre.

Expression - My model is looking directly at the camera and smiling, this makes her seem happy and content, which fits in with the story about her (on the contents page). Whereas Beyonce has her mouth slightly open in a pout, which gives a more seductive and provocative impression to the audience. Beyonce's photograph also conveys a slight attitude.

Hair - Both models have long hair, in a natural style. Beyonce has her hair thrown back, which gives the impression that she has a bit of an attitude, where as my model has her hair in front of her chest, which highlights her femininity.

No comments:

Post a Comment