Dear Moderator ,

This is my AS Media Studies Blog. I have created an R&B Music Magazine, which you will find below.

My Research and Planning starts on 7th September 2011, which you can view here.
The start of my Evaluation starts on Thursday 9th February 2012, which you can view here.
My Completed Magazine can be viewed here.

I hope you enjoy my blog and my music magazine.

Thanks,
Alice Jones

Friday 18 November 2011

Research and Planning: Double Page Spread Examples

This is a double page spread I have looked at from Vibe Magazine:

This double page spread shows an interview, which is something I would like to have as the double page spread in my magazine. This particular double page spread is different to others, as it doesn't have a main title or headline, which would be something I plan to use in the creation of my magazine. However, it does have an idea to what the Article would be about, in the paragraph that is in a bigger font, which would then lead onto the main story. I like the way they have used a quote from the Interview in a larger font, as this would entice the reader to read the interview, especially if the quote shows something interesting. I think this is a good technique that I will consider using in my Interview. I also like the one main picture on the page, as I feel this would catch the readers attention and the use of a long shot allows the audience to see the type of clothing she is wearing, I am thinking of using this kind of shot as my target audience said that they considered fashion to be an important part of the RnB genre, and I also think this would be an interesting side to look at. I like the use of the photographs at the top showing the Artist doing multiple poses, and this is making me consider whether to have more than one photograph for my double page spread, as I really like the effect this gives. The photograph also links into the description of Solange, as it says 'THE OUTSPOKEN SOLANGE KNOWLES CREATED ONE OF THE YEAR'S BEST R&B ALBUMS' and the pose reflects this, as she looks like she is outspoken, and as though she has an edgy attitude.

 
This is a double page spread I have taken from Flavour magazine:
This is also an interview, as that is what I want to focus my double page spread on, and this follows the typical conventions of any double page spread from and R&B magaine. One of the ways that it follows this typical convention, would be the use of only one picture, which covers the whole of the page, in this case the left-hand-side. I think this has a good effect, as it catches the readers attention automatically. I also like the way the Artist's name is written in a larger pink font, as this makes it stand out. This is something which I definately plan to use in my magazine. I also again like the use of the quotes at the beginning of the Interview, as I feel this makes the story seem more interesting, and a reader will want to read the story more if an interesting quote is used. I will definately use quotes from my interview, as I feel it also breaks the page up a bit, and makes it seem more interesting. I think the pose Alexandra Burke is doing emphasises the storyline more, as the phrase used to link the Artist into the Interview; 'Exclusive! Why the X-Factor winner is living the dream' the photograph makes the Artist look really important, which links to how she is 'living the dream', this phrase also links into what the Interview will be about. This is a technique which I will use when making my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment