Dear Moderator ,

This is my AS Media Studies Blog. I have created an R&B Music Magazine, which you will find below.

My Research and Planning starts on 7th September 2011, which you can view here.
The start of my Evaluation starts on Thursday 9th February 2012, which you can view here.
My Completed Magazine can be viewed here.

I hope you enjoy my blog and my music magazine.

Thanks,
Alice Jones

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Research and Planning: Genre Associations

Artists which I would associate with my genre include Beyonce, Rhianna, Nicki Minaj, Kanye West, and Rizzle Kicks. For my magazine, I will be focusing more on Beyonce and Rhianna - style artists for my magazine, as I will be appealing to mainly females. My models will need to appear to be very glamorous, like Beyonce. I am using a female artist for my magazine as my target audience will be mainly girls. Attitude is a major association with the RnB genre and so I will try and make my model pose in a way that portrays that she has attitude and power.

I like this shot of Beyonce as it makes her look like she is powerful yet portrays a more sexy edge, something which is also important in the RnB genre. I think the pose is something which reflects the RnB style, which I may take into account when taking the photographs for my magazine, however I would like a long shot of my model, as I feel I may be able to emphasise my models attitude more with a pose of her standing up. from this image I may decide to interpret the Make-Up for my model, as I like this look. I also like the fact that the image is in Black & White. I may decide to use this effect for the photograph on my contents page. I also like the idea of the metallic style writing, and as the colour scheme for my magazine is Black, White and Gold, I feel this type of writing would fit in well with my magazine, and so I may interpret this in some way into the creation of my magazine, perhaps in the masthead.

This promo shot of Rihanna conveys the Artists femininity, as she is wearing nude which is steretypically a colour which females would wear. But also, she could be wearing nude as she is wearing a very revealing sexy outfit, this could reflect Rihanna's personality, as she is well known in the media for being a very sexual icon. Her pose conveys her attitude, which fits with the genre of music; RnB. She has her arms folded across her chest which could be used to show that she is a powerful figure. She is also wearing Devil Horns, which make her seem as though she has power. I like the type of shot, as this may be something which I could use on the cover of my magazine, as it allows a full view of the costume, which would immediately show the reader that my magazine was an RnB magazine.


I like this shot of Nicki Minaj taken from Elle magazine, and although this shot was taken for a fashion magazine, as appose to an RnB magazine, I think this style of photograph would look good in an RnB magazine, as we can also include the fashion side of the music industry. I think the medium close-up shot works well as it highlights her face well. Surprisingly, she is relatively covered up, which is a major contrast to her usual image. I like how the photograph is in black and white, as she is also wearing black clothing and so her face is highlighted. I may use this style of clothing on the cover for my magazine, as I think it is a different approach to the other photographs. I think if I was to use a black and white image it would be when my model would be wearing black, as I like the effect that is given in this photograph. I like the pose which is used, as I think the arm behind her head makes her seem more laid back. You can tell from her facial expression though that she has a bit of an edge.

For my magazine, I will use a female for the main model for my magazine, I will use a female who looks quite feminine, yet also has an edgy attitude, in order to convey the RnB genre, I will also use a pose which conveys this attitude. The costume which I plan to put my model in will be a bit revealing, but not to the extent as in the first two photographs. I will use these three artist as style inspirations, as I feel these artists show an RnB edge, which I would like my audience to pick up from the photographs in my magazine. I also like the way all these photographs have a plain backdrop, I think this helps make the artist stand out. I will take this into consideration when shooting my photographs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment